Matthew R. Abatemarco, Esq.
Divorce is often the most challenging event in a person’s life. As a collaborative attorney, my goal is to minimize the trauma of divorce for my clients and their children. I am keenly aware of my client’s financial concerns and work diligently to develop comprehensive solutions to meet their needs. When children are involved, I work to protect the children and promote their emotional well-being. Through active listening, I can assist clients in navigating the emotional, financial and legal challenges of the divorce process. My goal is for clients and their children to move forward from the divorce in a positive manner.
I have a strong commitment to resolving cases in a cost-effective and amicable fashion. As a Mediator and Collaborative Attorney, I attempt settlement first before spending emotional and financial capital to battle through the Court system. The Court system is oftentimes necessary when clients are faced with headstrong adversaries. Attempting a settlement which focuses on the best interests of the family and win/win scenarios provides long term solutions for parties and so it should be attempted prior to resorting to the Court.
My practice areas:
- Mediation: 60%, 13 years, 1,250 cases
Mediation is an opportunity for clients to develop a settlement agreement that is beneficial to themselves and their family. Statistics reveal that clients who mediate their cases are more likely to abide by the terms of their agreement. More importantly, Mediation often minimizes the trauma of divorce on children.
- Family: 15%, 13 years, 1,250 cases
- Divorce and separation: 15%, 13 years, 1,250 cases
- Alimony: 5%, 13 years
- Child support: 5%, 13 years
- Past President , Jersey Shore Collaborative Law Group
- Past Treasurer, Jersey Shore Collaborative Law Group
- Early Settlement Panelist
- Court appointed Economic Mediator
- Parenting Coordinator
- Binding Arbitrator
- Court Appointed Receiver
- Lecturer, Mediation Training, 2018: Provided eight hours of Mediation training for other professionals
- Lecturer, NJ ICLE, 2016: Provided training for new attorneys and paralegals on the use of the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines
- Lecturer, Collaborative Law Symposium, 2014: Utilizing the Seven Habits to produce better results in Collaborative Practice
- Lecturer, NJSCPA, Certified Public Accountants, 2013: Provided Divorce ADR information to Certified Public Accountants
- Lecturer, NJAPM, 2010: Provided perspectives of a review attorney to NJAPM members
- International Association of Collaborative Professionals
- Jersey Shore Collaborative Law Group
- Monmouth Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association